- The Champions of the Earth award is the UN’s greatest ecological honour, yearly acknowledging impressive leaders from federal government, civil society and the economic sector .(* )The Champions of the Earth influence, safeguard, activate and act to deal with the best ecological difficulties of our time .
- This year’s awards acknowledge laureates in the classifications of Life time Accomplishment, Motivation and Action, Policy Management, Entrepreneurial Vision and Science and Development.
- Nairobi, 11 December 2020 -The UN Environment Program (UNEP) today revealed 6 laureates of the 2020 Champions of the Earth award, the UN’s greatest ecological honour. The Champions were selected for their transformative influence on the environment and their management in prompting strong and definitive action on behalf of the world and its occupants.
Given that its beginning in 2005, the yearly Champions of the Earth award has actually brought exposure and recognition to a few of the world’s most vibrant ecological leaders, from pioneering researchers and captains of market to presidents and neighborhood activists. The awards commemorate inspiring and inspirational examples of the capacity of private and cumulative action to alter the world.
Praising this year’s laureates, UN Secretary-General António Guterres stated: “In the middle of a worldwide pandemic, with societies having a hard time, economies extended to their limitations and an intensifying biodiversity and environment crisis, we require to act boldly and urgently to fix our relationship with nature and take the course of sustainable advancement. Each year, the United Nations honours these ecological champs for their management and vision. Their efforts challenge the triple planetary crisis of environment modification, biodiversity loss and contamination.”
” This year’s Champions of the Earth have actually dug their heels in, dealt with down misfortune and handled the enormous difficulty of working to secure and restore our environment,” stated UNEP’s Executive Director Inger Andersen. “They not just influence us, they likewise advise us that we have in our hands the options, the understanding and the innovation to restrict environment modification and prevent eco-friendly collapse. It is time for all of us to act for nature.”
The 2020 Champions of the Earth in alphabetical order are: .
Prime Minister Frank Bainimarama of Fiji, honoured in the Policy Management classification for his international environment action work and his dedication to climate-responsive nationwide advancement .
- Dr. Fabian Leendertz (Germany), honoured in the Science and Development classification for his discoveries in zoonotics and his operate in One Health .
- Mindy Lubber( U.S.A.), acknowledged in the Entrepreneurial Vision classification for her dedication to turning capital markets green by setting in motion leading financiers and business and making business case for environment action and sustainability .
- Nemonte Nenquimo (Ecuador), granted in the Motivation and Action classification for her management and unifying deal with native neighborhoods that stopped drilling in Ecuador’s Amazon rain forest .
- Yacouba Sawadogo (Burkina Faso), likewise honoured in the Motivation and Action classification for mentor farmers his standard nature-based service to restore their soil and turn barren land into arable land and forest throughout Africa
- This year’s champs are signed up with by Teacher Robert D. Bullard (U.S.A.) who was granted the Champ of the Earth Life time Accomplishment award for his dedication and service to ecological justice.
By enhancing news of the considerable work being done on the ecological frontlines, the Champions of the Earth awards intend to influence and inspire more individuals to act for nature.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Champions were revealed online, on the cusp of the UN Years on Environment Repair, which begins in early 2021. The awards become part of UNEP’s #ForNature project to rally momentum for the UN Biodiversity Conference (POLICE OFFICER 15) in Kunming in Might 2021, and catalyze environment action all the method to the UN Environment Modification Conference (COP26) in Glasgow in November 2021.
NOTES TO EDITORS
. About the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP) . UNEP is the leading international voice on the environment. It offers management and motivates collaboration in looking after the environment by motivating, notifying, and allowing countries and individuals to enhance their lifestyle without jeopardizing that of future generations.
About Champions of the Earth
. Champions of the Earth acknowledges impressive leaders from federal government, civil society and the economic sector. Given that its beginning in 2005, the Champions of the Earth award has actually acknowledged 95 laureates consisting of 24 world leaders, 57 people and 12 companies. Previous laureates consist of, to name a few, previous President of Chile Michelle Bachelet, the environment modification youth motion Fridays for Future, marine biologist Sylvia Earle, American statesman Al Gore, and the National Geographic Society.
For additional information, please contact:
Head of News and Media,
UN Environment Program,
AAAS and EurekAlert! are not accountable for the precision of press release published to EurekAlert! by contributing organizations or for using any details through the EurekAlert system.