Likewise: why do we put things off?
* * *
Relevant Research Study & & References
Here’s where you can find out more about individuals and concepts in this episode:
- Maria Konnikova, author of The Greatest Bluff.
- B. F. Skinner, previous teacher of psychology at Harvard University.
- Albert Bandura, teacher of psychology at Stanford University.
- Gabriele Oettingen, teacher of psychology at New york city University.
- Sule Alan, teacher of economics at the European University Institute.
- Adam Grant, teacher of psychology at the University of Pennsylvania.
- Dale Schunk, teacher of education at the University of North Carolina, Greensboro.
- The Biggest Bluff: How I Learned to Pay Attention, Master Myself, and Win, by Maria Konnikova (2020 ).
- Originals: How Non-Conformists Move the World, by Adam Grant.
- “Ever Failed, Try Again, Succeed Better: Results from a Randomized Educational Intervention on Grit,” by Sule Alan, Teodora Boneva, and Seda Ertac (2016 ).
- “Professor Emeritus of Psychology Julian Rotter Dies,” by Christine Buckley ( UConn Today, 2014).
- The Marshmallow Test: Understanding Self-control and How To Master It, by Walter Mischel (2014 ).
- “From Fantasy to Action: Mental Contrasting With Implementation Intentions (MCII) Improves Academic Performance in Children,” by Angela Duckworth, Teri A. Kirby, Anton Gollwitzer, and Gabriele Oettingen ( Social Psychological and Character Science, 2013).
- “Mental Contrasting Facilitates Academic Performance in School Children,” by Anton Gollwitzer, Gabriele Oettingen, Teri A. Kirby, Angela L. Duckworth, and Doris Mayer ( Inspiration Feeling, 2011).
- “Educational Psychology: An International Journal of Experimental Educational Psychology,” by Angela Duckworth, Heidi Grant, Benjamin Loew, Gabriele Oettingen, and Peter M. Gollwitzer ( Journal of Speculative Educational Psychology, 2010).
- Self-Efficacy: The Exercise of Control, by Albert Bandura (1997 ).
- Social Foundations of Thought and Action: A Social Cognitive Theory, by Albert Bandura (1985 ).
- “Cultivating Confidence, Self Efficacy, and Intrinsic Interest Through Proximal Self-Motivation,” by Albert Bandura and Dale Schunk ( Journal of Character and Social Psychology, 1981).
- “Generalized Expectancies for Internal Versus External Control of Reinforcement,” by J.B. Rotter ( Mental Essays: General and Applied, 1966).
- Behavior of Organisms, by B. F. Skinner (1938 ).