Likewise: which occupations have the happiest individuals?
* * *
Relevant Research Study & & References
Here’s where you can discover more about individuals and concepts in this episode:
- Nicholas Christakis, teacher of social and life sciences, internal medication and biomedical engineering at Yale University.
- Sigal Barsade, teacher of management at the University of Pennsylvania.
- John Steinbeck, Nobel Prize-winning author.
- Marty Seligman, teacher of psychology at the University of Pennsylvania.
- Amy Wrzesniewski, teacher of management at Yale University.
- Tom W. Smith, director of NORC’s Center for the Research Study of Politics and Society.
- “Not Just a Job: New Evidence on the Quality of Work in the United States,” by Gallup ( 2019 ).
- “Emotional Contagion in Organizational Life,” by Sigal G.Barsade, Constantinos G.V. Coutifaris, and Julianna Pillemer ( Research Study in Organizational Habits, 2018).
- “Divided We Stand: Three Psychological Regions of the United States and Their Political, Economic, Social, and Health Correlates,” by Peter J. Rentfrow, Markus Jokela, Samuel D. Gosling, David J. Stillwell, Michal Kosinski, and Jeff Potter ( Journal of Character and Social Psychology, 2013).
- Connected: The Surprising Power of Our Social Networks and How They Shape Our Lives — How Your Friends’ Friends’ Friends Affect Everything You Feel, Think, and Do, by James H. Fowler and Nicholas A. Christakis (2011 ).
- “Homophily and Contagion Are Generically Confounded in Observational Social Network Studies,” by Cosma Rohilla Shalizi and Andrew C. Thomas ( Sociological Approaches & & Research study, 2011).
- “Happiness at Work,” by Cynthia D. Fisher ( International Journal of Management Reviews, 2010).
- “Managing Yourself: Turn the Job You Have into the Job You Want,” by Amy Wrzesniewski, Justin M. Berg, and Jane E. Dutton ( Harvard Organization Evaluation, 2010).
- “Dynamic Spread of Happiness in a Large Social Network: Longitudinal Analysis Over 20 Years in the Framingham Heart Study,” by James H Fowler and Nicholas A Christakis ( BMJ, 2008).
- “Detecting Implausible Social Network Effects in Acne, Height, and Headaches: Longitudinal Analysis,” by Ethan Cohen-Cole and Jason M Fletcher ( BMJ, 2008).
- “Job Satisfaction in the United States,” by Tom W. Smith ( NORC, 2007).
- “The Spread of Obesity in a Large Social Network over 32 Years,” by Nicholas A. Christakis and James H. Fowler ( The New England Journal of Medication, 2007).
- “Jobs, Careers, and Callings: People’s Relations to Their Work,” by Amy Wrzesniewski, Clark McCauley, Paul Rozin, and Barry Schwartz ( Journal of Research Study in Character, 1997).
- “Homophily,” by APA Dictionary of Psychology.
- “The General Social Survey,” by NORC at the University of Chicago